From: Erin Poythress <anang3 at yahoo_com>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:58:50 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] nerd question about "plant" verbage-- to

Scott,

It appears even the up-to-date if dubious
dictionary.com is also behind the times-- it also only
references the noun form.

(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/uptake)

I guess maybe it raises the question about who
legitimates language-- grammarians or the rest of us.
Anyone who's ever worked as a copyeditor has probably
encountered nitpicky matters like this that go on for
hours (seriously), and I just wondered about how
publications such as TFH, botany journals, etc., how
the editors handle the situation.

And thanks for not splitting the infinitive. :P
(Monday, when I collect 42 student essays I'll have
plenty of that...)