From: Shireen Gonzaga <whimbrel at comcast_net>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Cc: Shireen Gonzaga <whimbrel at comcast_net>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:15:27 AM
Subject: [APD] shop light problem

Hi ...

I use some shop lights for plants, and noticed that the fluorescent
bulbs burn out frequently, like within a month or two. But the
fixtures for my aquariums are very reliable -- the lights burn for
more than a year.

Does this have to do with "preheat" vs. "rapid start"? From what I've
read, most aquarium fixtures use a starter to heat the tube cathodes
and provide high voltage to create the arc, whereas rapid start, used
in shop lights, apply voltage directly. I'm no expert on the
technical aspects of this, but are preheat fixtures better for long-
lasting bulbs?

Thanks!
   shireen