Re: [APD] CO2 angst

The problem for relative newcomers like me is that we test per the KH/
pH table and see numbers that say we have 80 ppm of CO2, so we
immediately try to drop it down to a reasonable 40 ppm, for example.
Then as BBA hits and our plants grow slowly, people tell us to raise
the CO2, but we can't make ourselves do that, thinking we are really
going overboard already, having twice the usual recommended amount.
So, we fight BBA and bad plant growth forever, or until we get
discouraged and try another hobby.

So, it isn't just an academic issue for us.  Until we learn what good
CO2 in the tank looks like, what an overdose of CO2 looks like, and
what bubble rate changes do to those things, we just have to have a
way to get a reasonably accurate guess about how much CO2 we have in
the water.

Another issue I ran into a couple of times is that my method of
diffusing CO2 into the water was such that the same bubble rate
resulted in less CO2 in the water - plugged holes in a spray bar, for
example.  Without a way to "see" the drop in ppm of CO2 I had no idea
anything was wrong, other than the algae building up.  I spent a lot
of time getting rid of that algae, and as much as I learned about the
various algae friends we have, I prefer to spend that time doing
other good things for the tank.

Vaughn H.