Re: [APD] CO2 drop checker

The solution in the bottle that comes with it is essentially the same
as that supplied by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals in their pH test kit,
with bromothymol blue as the indicator.  It takes very little bicarb
to get a KH of 4 in 100 ml of distilled water.  I put maybe a 32nd of
a tsp in about 4 ounces of water, and got a KH of about 5 or 6.  So I
added more water, and rechecked it and was extremely lucky to hit KH4
exactly.  I wouldn't use test strips for this.  You need to be
accurate to about +/- .25 in KH, and that means using 4X the
measuring test tube amount of water and counting drops as .25 KH per
drop - using a AP test kit where one drop equals one degree of KH
doing a normal test.

I suggest you search for the amount of bicarbonate of soda needed to
raise the KH by one degree - I have seen it many times, but I can't
find it right now.

Vaughn H.