Re: [APD] Caution with lead weights -- Or - Ethyl's Nails

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:37:00 +0100, Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> For the purposes of calculating resistance vs. area, how many square inches is a cube 1 inch on each side. Is it 6?

A cube of dimensions 1"x1"x1" has a volume of 1" cubed. Each of the faces has an area of 1" squared. If you passed electricity from one face to another, you would be passing electricity along a length of 1" and a cross-sectional area of 1" squared.
The resistance done so from one side to the other is the length it must travel (1") divided by the cross-sectional area (1" squared) and also divided by the resistivity of the material.
The resistivity is the resistance measured from one face to another times the cross-sectional area (1" squared) divided by the length.

Also also I suspect this is an approximation somewhere...

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.