[APD] Caution with lead weights (was Re: Keeping Plants Rooted with MTS)

I have accidentally killed whole tanks of fish with lead weights, so I
urge caution with their use.

If the tank goes acidic, and many softer-water tanks do (particularly
with added CO2), the lead dissolves or is etched and becomes very toxic
in the water.

At that point, the fish may show severe neurological damage, and swim
erratically. A quick water change and raising KH can potentially halt
the process, but the damage to the fish is already done, and many will
not survive.

As you may guess, I have been down on lead plant anchors since I killed
off a whole strain of particularly nice killifish.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net  760 937-2276 (cell) 760 874-2000 (CA) or 941 866-0500 (FL).

"You can hear a lot by listening"
- Yogi Berra

http://www.self-gov.org/wspq.html