From: Mike Smith <chainsawmike at msn_com>
To: aquatic-plants <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Sunday, August 6, 2006 9:49:28 PM
Subject: [APD] This darned silicone!

Hello all,

              Recently acquired another 125 gallon tank. I was very excited as I have yet to design and build the stand for the 125 I have now. ( new house, new fish room, new stands! ) I will now design and build an over/under stand for them.

               This was how I felt this morning. Now I am angry.

               In a previous life, right up until yesterday, the 125 served as a sump for a 210 gallon reef. The four bulkheads will serve some, as yet undecided purpose, or will be plugged. This is not the problem.

               The problem arises from the fact that at each end of the tank, there were acrylic sheets siliconed  on to the glass to facilitate the sump operations.

               After much work, the sheets were removed. The silicone was not however. Even with much scrubbing and the use of more than a dozen single edged razor blades, there remains the ghost of the silicone.

               I have read in the archives that acetone will remove the silicone, and someone said that steel wool and scrubbing powder will work as well. These methods were in reference to removing silicone from the bottom edges of the tank in preparation to reseal a leaker.

               My silicone is in the viewing area of the glass. I am unwilling to try the steel wool method. I am wondering if the acetone leaves any trace of its presence behind.

               Basically, I need to remove what seems like the thinnest ( untouchable by even brand new razors ) film of silicone from the glass. Suggestions Please.