[APD] amquel plus and nitrates

I've been having troubles with substrate fertilizers leeching nitrates into
the water collumn.  they are a slow release type that I used in error, and I
have been steadily suffering high nitrates for months now.  I've lost a few
fish, but fortunately most have acclimated to the consistently high
readings.  Usually, they hover around 40-60 ppm.  Apparently, Amquel Plus
can detoxify nitrates.  This would be a very, very good thing, as the high
nitrates have been leading to other headaches that I'd be glad to be rid
of.  Is it as good as it sounds?  Can I just add this stuff and remove
nitrates?

Eli