Re: [APD] Calcium Carbonate question

I believe Jerry Baker wrote this email section below:
> Stuart Halliday wrote:
>> I've recently added a small quantity of this powder to my 25 litre planted
>> aquarium in order to raise the GH above zero. (I live in a soft water area).
>>
>> Aquarium water is KH high and ph is around 7.5.
>> (I added some sodium bicarbonate a few days ago.)
>>
>> However after leaving the water to clear for 3 hours, I tested again and
>> still the GH is zero.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> 1/4 teaspoon or so should raise your GH by around 2 degrees in a 25
> liter tank. If your test kit doesn't reflect this, then it may be the
> problem.

I use new Tetra 5-in-1 strips.

I don't think I used as much as 1/4 teaspoon.
I put a whole teaspoon into 200ml of water and then put in 10ml of that
mixture into the tank. The tank went very very white! It took an hour to clear.

I didn't add more as I'm worried about the wee fish in the tank.

Does added calcium carbonate use up oxygen and release carbon dioxide?

I'll add more if you think its ok?

--
Stuart Halliday