Re: [APD] Tank Lighting

Fish only:  The light is there for you to enjoy looking at the fish.
Although some fish are skittish with very intense lighting,
especially with light colored substrate, you can pretty well decide
what type like you like to use.
Plant only and Plant and fish:  The light is there to grow plants.
That is best done with lights having color temperatures between about
6500 and 10,000K.  Actinic lights are of little benefit for the
plants.  You need around 2 watts per gallon of light in order to be
reasonably sure the plants will grow well, but the actual spectrum of
the light isn't critical - again, it depends on what looks good to you.
Plants also need to be fed - that means they need NPK and traces,
plus a source of carbon.  Without that they will not grow well, if at
all.

Vaughn H.