On reading your post I disconnected the tubing after the open needle
valve and checked for the smell, it's still there. My nose still tingles.
The smell is not as pungent as acetylene gas but something similar.
My supplier gives me Medical Grade CO2, do they add an odorous compound
to the gas so that leakages are quickly detected? Just wondering. They
do add a compound that gives out a characteristic smell to cooking gas
here in India, to quickly detect a leak.

Madan Subramanian
Bangalore, India.