  From: Donald Hellen<mailto:donhellen at horizonview_net>
  To: aquatic plants digest<mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
  Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:11 PM
  Subject: Re: [APD] My goldfish are dying

  Melis here (Don's wife)

  On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 13:13:24 -0700, Vaughn Hopkins
  <hoppycalif at yahoo_com<mailto:hoppycalif at yahoo_com>> wrote:

  >May I suggest that you not spend money on an undergravel heating cable,
  >nor on laterite?  Neither is needed or especially beneficial for
  >growing plants or keeping fish healthy.  It would help more to spend
  >that money on good lighting, good test kits, including a pH meter, a
  >pressurized CO2 system, and some ADA aquasoil or other good substrate
  >material.
  >Vaughn H .

  This, I think, is good advice. I would suggest you do
  more research about growing plants in aquarium setting.
  aquaticplantcentral is a good forum for further reading
  and research. Also one called plantgeek.

  You may not realise there are more than one way of
  growing plants in the home aquarium. One that's been
  popular in europe quite a while and gaining adherents
  here is outlined in Diane Walstad's book 'Ecology of
  the Planted Aquarium'. Great book, explains how you can
  use soil topped with sand or gravel, sunlight and
  little or no filtration to achieve a planted tank that
  is nearly zero-maintenance. Fish and the food you feed
  them feed the plants, plants absorb and grow on the
  ammonia, nitrites and nitrates the fish create. Only
  maintenance is occasional topping up from evaporation
  and occasional pruning of your extremely happy and
  flourishing plants. No algae, no ammonia spikes, no
  expensive  CO2 equipment, no tanks every couple months,
  no risk killing your fish either if you get the CO2 mix
  wrong. 3-6 small water changes a year, blissful,
  low-tech fishkeeping.

  Obviously I like and do these kind of tanks myself,
  love and highly recommend them. But don't set one up
  based on the above alone: do your research! Ideally,
  buy the book. Diane Walstad hosts a group on the
  aquaticplantcentral web site called El Natural

  I repeat: do your research. It will save you buying
  equipment you don't really need.