Re: [APD] help -- my goldfish are dying

The best and simplest explanation I've seen of the
ammonia-chlorine combination in chloramine is here:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_chlorine.htm

Depending on your personal beliefs, doing a partial
water change and treating for chlorine only may be OK.
Or not, depending on where you set your caution or
danger threshold.

Since ammonia is only 31% of the chloramine chemical,
you're at 0.31 ppm of ammonia with typical chloramine
levels, but if your water treatment plant goes crazy
and puts in the maximum allowable by the EPA, it would
be several times higher.

If you then dilute the ammonia left in the water 10 or
20 to 1 with the rest of the tank water, the level goes
way down to where many feel are acceptable levels.
That's IF your treatment plant doesn't go crazy. You
can test for chlorine amounts if you're interested.

You probably can't go wrong if you use something for
the ammonia. I don't, but just because our goldfish is
15 years old doesn't mean that treating the ammonia
wouldn't be better. It does add one more chemical to
the mix in the tank if you're comfortable with that.

The example under "UPDATE" on the web page assumes the
worst case scenario. If  you limit your changes to 10%
and your water doesn't smell strongly of chlorine (not
the worst case scenario), you may feel comfortable with
the amounts of ammonia.

There is a lot of disagreement on this so you need to
make your own decision since it is YOUR fish that
you're concerned about.

Donald