[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [APD] Help -- my goldfish are dying...
I googled NovAqua+ and in the manufacturer's writeup it says:
"NovAqua+ neutralizes up to 3.75 ppm of chlorine (free and combined as
chloramines), twice the amount that regular NovAqua removes. What
NovAqua+ does not do is take out the ammonia that comes in the
chloramines. " That suggests to me that ammonia from all the water
changes you are doing could be the problem. Seachem's Prime, for
example, neutralizes both the chlorine and the ammonia that makes up
chloramine, but NovAqua + doesn't.
On Sunday, May 28, 2006, at 02:27 PM, Jamie Bright wrote:
> Thanks for the input so far. I'll answer the questions posed.
> Size of tank: 36 gallons.
> Water changes: very frequent, and even more after the fish started
> Testing: ammonia (always 0), nitrite (always 0), nitrate (up to 30-40
> before several water changes, usually lower). The new tank was cycled
> with several other fish, and I used Seachem's Stability along with my
> usual NovAqua+ Water Conditioner with water changes.
> Food: rotation of Tetra Fin Goldfish Flakes, Omega One Freeze Dried
> Bloodworms and Ocean Nutrition Frozen Bloodworms. Frozen peas every
> week or so, lettuce once and a while.
> Fish obtained at 4 different times, new ones quarantined, the last one
> was added to the group about 8 weeks before I moved them all to the
> new tank. The first to die was the first one I got, nearly a year
> Lighting is weak (only 34 watts), no CO2, no fertilizers. I generally
> keep a low amount of salt in the tank, but for the sick fish I
> increased it in the hospital tanks, and did one "fish dip" following
> instructions I read.
> I have not tried medicated food, nor have I raised the water
> temperature above normal (69-71 degrees).
> I don't think this is swim bladder disease. Not being able to stay
> upright seems to be a consequence of their zapped energy near the end.
> Also, the progression is too consistent from fish to fish -- I'm sure
> it's something contagious, but beyond the (admittedly limited) 2
> medicines I have here. I also checked with the local store guy, and
> he didn't have any other ideas so I haven't tried anything else. No
> external signs of trouble on the body.
> I've thought about the biopsy idea, but that's really beyond my
> interest/capabilities at this time. Maybe that will be the only way
> to deciper this problem.
> I asked the question here because I wonder if something could have
> been brought in with the plants that set this whole thing off.
> Figured you plant experts would know if that's possible (I realize
> highly unlikely).
> Thanks for the ideas. You may see my questions posed on the other
> threaded discussions shortly.
> Aquatic-Plants mailing list
> Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com