[APD] Common Names of Algae

The recent posts on algae got me to thinking. I am wondering if the algae we
in the US see in our aquariums and call Black Brush Algae (Audouinella) or
Green Dust Algae (Ankistrodesmus falcatus), as an example, is the same algae
that our friends in Australia like Dave Wilson or Japan or England see. In
other words, are the same genera of algae found in planted aquariums in one
part of the world found in another part of the world? Obviously, the common
name would be different in another language, but is what we call Staghorn
algae (Compsopogon) found in Japan?

Jerry Smith, Bloomingdale, NJ, USA