Re: [APD] USDA Aquatic Snail Ban :( :( :(

>http://www.ekkwill.com/usaqsnailban.html

Perhaps my reading was off, but it seems, at least in this instance,
that the USDA is primarily concerned with one or more species of
Pomacea (Apple Snails) that are destructive to rice crops.  P.
bridgesii, however, is not counted among them, and that is the Apple
snail most common in the hobby as far as I know.  The declaration
also specifies certain rice-producing states where the "bad" Apples
can potentially cause the most harm, so it seems likely that
shipments destined for these states will receive the most scrutiny.

Obviously, only time will tell how this restriction will impact the
hobby, particularly those of us who enjoy Apple snails, but it may
not be much of an issue in the end.  If someone were really rosy,
they might even think that this will lead to suppliers being more
careful about the hitchhikers they send along with their
plants-n-stuff, since the US market is doubtlessly a lucrative one.
Unfortunately, my Magic 8-Ball says odds are favorable that the whole
situation will be utterly FUBAR in short order.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee