[APD] Sulfa antibiotics and plants

Out of lurk mode.

I am in the eighth of ten days treating my 38 gallon Tanganyikan tank with
Sulfa 4 TMP from National Fish Pharmaceuticals (www.nationalfishpharm.com).
I am following the label directions as to the dosage and treatment duration
and tank water changes. The label says not to use it in planted tanks. Here
I deviate from the label. My Tanganyikan tank is planted with Hygro.
polysperma, Crypt. blassii, Crypt. spiralis, Crypt. ciliata, duckweed and
hornwort. I am seeing a definite dieback on the duckweed-each one is getting
smaller and bleaching white. The hornwort has melted. I am seeing the C.
blassii starting to melt and the C. spiralis is also melting. I am willing
to accept this as I don't want to lose the fish. It is easier to replace the
plants if needed. I have kept up my regular dosing during the treatment
period.

Sulfa 4 TMP is: Trimethoprim, Sulfadiazine, Sulfamerizine, Sulfamethazine,
and Sulfathiazole Sodium.

My question is: What is the reason for the plant dieback when using this
antibiotic mixture? I take a guess that the antibiotic interrupts some step
in the metabolism of the bacteria that is also found in the plants. Anyone
know if this is really the reason?

Thanks,

Jerry Smith in Bloomingdale, NJ