No, not make a whole new filter "unit".  I meant just sticking a loose
baggy of charcoal in the aforementioned under-sink or whole-house filter
unit.  Opposed to using the actual "filters" you buy to put into the
under-sink or whole-house "filter unit".

I use an under-sink filter under my kitchen sink..  and I sure haven't
lost any sleep.  Not from that anyway.  ;]

-derek parr