The problem is that the household filters are made for a 40 psi system,
so nearly all of that 40 psi is available to drive the water thru the
filter.  Not so for aquarium filters.  The little pumps we use develop
less than 2 psi pressure at zero flow.  We need filters that give us a
back pressure less than one psi.

Vaughn H.