Re: [APD] Lighting question for small tanks

Always the controversial one, Nick ;-)  There is disagreement about how much depth affects the lighting level *in an aquarium*. When filled with water the glass are good reflectors and much of the light that would be dispersed outside an empty aquarium is reflected back into a water-filled aquarium. Put an aquarium in a dark room with no water and turn on the aquarium lights. Then do the same after filling with water (the tank not yourself). Yet plants in my tanks behave a bit as if there is more light nearer the top than nearer the bottom. sh * * * * * * * * * Come to the 2006 Aquatic Gardeners Association Convention and plan a few extra days in San Francisco enjoying the Cable cars, Lombard St., Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf . . . The Convention will be November 10-12 at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel -- San Francisco International Airport. Speakers, Field Trip, and the largest aquatic plant auction in the US. Details will be posted soon at http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/

----- Original Message ----From: "Wise, Nicholas" <Nicholas_Wise at eon-us.com>To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:50:29 AMSubject: Re: [APD] Lighting question for small tanks

The depth of the tank has a lot to do with it. I'd guess 8 watts might be enough to grow most anything you want.
-Nick