Re: [APD] excel

I don't know about a complex sugar but I am curious to know if anyone has
tried or has anymore knowledge as to if Glutaraldehyde can be used for
Polycycloglutaracetal (Excel).

I found a 50% / 50% Glutaraldehyde  / water solution of 100ml for $35.

Here is a post from another forum:

here's my friend's reply:
"Actually I'm using glutaraldehyde. Both polycycloglutaracetal and
glutaraldehyde are ingredients in Excel (from what little Seachem is willing to  admit)
and from my reading they may have similar effects, namely as a
photosynthesis precursor and an algaecide. I got the glutaraldehyde from my  Vietnamese
friend who purchased it in a 50% solution (the highest concentration  available
from what I've been able to determine) from a chemical supply company.  It is
similar to formaldehyde and is used commercially as a fixative and
disinfectant. The 50% solution is some pretty potent stuff - I only add ~1 mL  three
times a week to my 125G and it has pretty much wiped out any sign of algae  with
no ill effects on the fish.
I haven't checked around to see where it is  sold but I'd be willing to bet
it is available online somewhere. I would  recommend extreme caution in using
it. I've heard that it can cause allergic  reactions in some people so even
taking a whiff of it would be a bad idea. I  keep mine refrigerated to prevent
any possible chemical breakdown."
I got to  see this tank a week ago, and it is, in fact, pristine and
beautiful.

Here is what _Wikipedia_
(http://www.answers.com/library/Wikipedia-cid-1624706334)  had  to say about it:

Glutaraldehyde is a colourless liquid with a pungent odor used to _sterilize_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Sterilization+(m
icrobiology)&curtab=2222_1)  medical and dental  equipment. It is also used
for _industrial water treatment_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Industrial+water+treatment&curtab=2222_1)  and as a  chemical
preservative. But it is _toxic_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Toxicity&curtab=2222_1) , causing severe _eye_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Eye&curtab=2222_1) , _nose_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Nose&curtab=2222_1)
, _throat_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Throat&curtab=2222_1)  and _lung_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Lung&curtab=2222_1)  irritation, along with _headaches_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Headache&curtab=2222_1)
, drowsiness and dizziness.
Glutaraldehyde is an oily _liquid_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Liquid&curtab=2222_1)  at room temperature (_density_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Density&curtab=2222_1
)  1.06 g/_mL_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Litre&curtab=2222_1) ), and _miscible_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Miscible&curtab=2222_1)  with _water_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Water&curtab=2222_1) , _alcohol_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Ethanol&curtab=22
22_1) , and _benzene_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Benzene&curtab=2222_1) . It is used as a tissue  fixative in _electron
microscopy_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Electron+microscope&curtab=2222_1) . It is employed  as _embalming_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Embalming&curtab=2222_1)
fluid, is a component of  leather tanning solutions, and occurs as an intermediate
in the production of  certain industrial chemicals.
An _isomer_ (http://www.
answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Isomer&curtab=2222_1)  of Glutaraldehyde has recently  been developed by Seachem
Laboratories, Inc. as a _fertilizer_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Fertilizer&curtab=2222_1)  for _aquatic plants_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Aquatic+plant&curtab=2222_
1)  by providing a source  of organic _carbon_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Carbon&curtab=2222_1) . It is marketed under
the name  Flourish Excel.
Bill