Re: [APD] Green Water and Excel

BGA is a cyano-bacterium; responds to eryth even though it's on the wrong side of the Gram test. Unlikely that algae will respond at any but hugely poisonous doses that would probalby kill everything inthe tank except that one monster bacterium that's just waiting for the anitbiotic suceptible bacteria to all die off and let it take over. ;-)

sh

----- Original Message ----
From: John Seymour <jtseymour at alltel_net>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 1:38:21 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] Green Water and Excel

Vaughn, I just realized that I had not thanked you for you your help on
subject relationship, so I do that before proceeding further.

Your comments together with whatever else I have been able to learn lead me
to suspect that you probably identified my pea soup problem: erratic CO2.
In fact, the pea soup occurred in a tank in which the CO2 was tested for
only a few days and then removed completely. (If I find a small tank at
Trade Day I may try that again to see if it can be duplicated.)

I have been concerned with my DIY CO2 generator in general, but from a
steady output standpoint alone. A day's worth of generation was about all I
could expect from a 1/8 tsp yeast charge no matter how much care was used,
and larger charges are being tested. (Several yeast brands show no
differences thus far.)

If erythromycin (Maracyn) kills BGA, wonder if it will take care of other
forms of algae as well. I would have tried that had I had Bill D's message
at the time. Comments Bill D, anyone?

JohnT