Re: [APD] Aquarium seals and algae

When I went to order my 65 gallon All-Glass tank, I swore that I would get the black sealant type, but they didn't have it in a 65, so I got the tank with the clear sealant.

  Now, 2 years later, the sealant in each of the corners has algae on it.  Each week when cleaning I use the abrasive pad to lightly go over the corners or use a little bristle brush I have but it still grows and I'm afraid to use anything more aggressive.  I'm afraid because I have begun to notice rough edges on parts of the sealant in the front and little 1-2 mm holes here and there.  The tank seems sound and is only 2 years old but I am getting concerned.

  Could these little holes be from lightly using the abrasive sponge or could it be from something else?  How does everyone else handle the corners?  I've been thinking about taking black electrical tape and putting it on the outside corner seams to just cover up the algae so that I don't have to touch the corners again.  The algae that is there now seems as if it won't come off.  Should I be worrying about the soundness of the tank?

  Beverly