Re: [APD] Temperate plants for outdoor tank?

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:22:27 -0800
> From: Vaughn Hopkins <hoppycalif at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Temperate plants for outdoor tank?
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> I'm assuming that this tank gets good, indirect sunlight, so would be
> classified as a high light intensity tank.  If that's correct I suspect
>   your plants suffer from lack of CO2, so the problem to solve is  how
> to provide it in a weatherproof way.  If your tank is on a stand or
> cabinet with an enclosed bottom why couldn't you make that area
> weatherproof and use normal pressurized CO2?  Then you would still
> have a problem keeping the bubble rate constant, since the CO2 bottle
> temperature would vary a lot, and that varies the regulator inlet
> pressure.  But, that is solvable with a two stage regulator.  Am I on
> track here???
>
> Vaughn H.

The outdoor-proof CO2 setups sound great, but I don't have the money to
buy a CO2 setup.  Especially not a two stage regulator.  I'm in school
and I even buy my fish food by trading in plants at the store.
Christmas moss is a great form of currency.  ;-)  I use Excel on my
small indoor tanks.  Besides, the anacharis and hornwort in the nearby
whiskey barrel pond grow beautifully without CO2.

I also can't grow floating watersprite in this setup and it has access
to air.  The H. difformis fell apart too fast for CO2 to have been an
issue.  Plants store some carbon.  I suppose I can test the carbon
hypothesis by removing the anacharis and trying Excel.  It won't hurt
anything and I have more anacharis than I know what to do with growing
in the pond.

I'd still like to know if there are more winter-hardy plants that I can
try growing.  What else is temperate that I can get through normal
online sources?  We're a bit short on creeks for collecting natives here
in Southern California.

Thanks again,
Elaine