From: Kevin_Buckley at uk.neceur.com
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 4:38:27 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] Flourish iron & KH drop

It's not organic acids.  As I said in the original post, I added 5ml of
Flourish iron to 2L of tapwater & in 30 minutes the KH dropped from 10
degrees to 7.5 degrees.  Nothing else added!

Anyway, I know the rate at which the KH drops in my 50g - I've been
running it (& monitoring it) continuously since 1997.  It's definitely the
Flourish iron which I've just started using.

At the moment I use Sodium Bicarbonate if I (rarely) have to adjust KH.  I
don't want to add anything with Calcium in it because my GH is naturally
very high.

I'd like to try using Potassium Bicarbonate (because I don't really want
to add Sodium) but I can't find a supplier in the UK.

Regards, Kevin

>I'm suspecting that organic acids that form in the tank between water
changes are taking >down the KH, and that it doesn't necessarily have a
direct connection to the Flourish Iron.

>If I wanted to increase KH, I'd add calcium carbonate or baking soda,
which I do with each >water change just because my tapwater has virtually
no carbonates.