Re: [APD] Excel and Green Water

I don't use Excel, so my information on it comes from reading here and
in other aquatic plant forums.  Excel is a Seachem product that
provides usable carbon for aquatic plants.  It doesn't provide CO2, but
a different compound of carbon.  If you have a high level of lighting
the plants will be driven to grow faster than with a lower level, and
will need fertilizers to do that growing.  Carbon is one of the needed
fertilizers.  So, with high lighting we need to add all of the
fertilizers the plants want and enough of each so their growth isn't
limited by one of the fertilizers, but by the light available to them.
Excel will provide the carbon, not as well as CO2 does, but a lot
better than nothing.

If we provide these fertilizers erratically, especially the CO2, so the
levels are high for awhile, then inadequate for awhile, algae spores
tend to start growing.  So, using DIY CO2, and allowing the bottles to
exhaust their CO2 generating before replenishing them can cause algae
to start up.

Excel also acts as an algaecide, killing some forms of algae if enough
is used.

Some people use Excel along with DIY CO2 and say they get good results
that way.

That is about all I know, and what I know is never, ever guaranteed to
be the truth, the whole truth, or, many times not even a partial truth,
but only the truth as I perceive it at this particular point in time.
(Be prepared for an essay question test tomorrow morning!)

Vaughn H.