Jerry Bake wrote:
"I know chlorophyll reflects a good deal of infrared, but I don't
know if nutrient deficiencies affect the reflectance in predictable ways."

It's quite common for "remote sensing" in agriculture, and even to
monitor health of reefs:
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/10/25/coral.reefs/

So it's weird if noone have taken these kind of photos of aquariums,
since it's quite easy with a digital camera. If your TV-remote in action
shows up blue in a picture taken by your camera it can take
IR-photos.

Best regards
Daniel Larsson