Re: [APD] Light Timers

As far as I know, the ballast has to specifically support dimming.
Timing and control of the dimming then becomes the job of a commercial
lighting controller, like something from Lutron (available at home
depots, etc)

But you'll be on another quest for new ballasts if you really want dimming.

Universal Ballast's eTensity with SuperDim is the only dimable I know
of in your power range - most are heavy commercial / industrial
ballasts for 300-400 watt bulbs.

http://www.universalballast.com/productLines/ballast/hid.html

You may be able to recreate the dawn/dusk cycle with the addition of
some inexpensive (relative term?) fluorescent lights, reserving your
halides for a 4-6 hour "midday" period?

Gordon