Re: [APD] Don't Drink Distilled Water [SAFETY] (was "Storing largeamounts of RO water")

Wow I spaketh  !

It's ok to drink purified water - RO or Distilled.   But you have heard a
lot about that today already. ;)

> Terry spaketh:

> RO water isn't as big a health risk as distilled,
> because the RO filtration only removes the "bigger"
> stuff (like sodium).  But, it's still true that RO
> water pulls salts and other stuff out of your system
> because we're still talking about osmosis across
> the gradient in the water, and your body.

Sodium Ions are pretty small, Potassium and Chloride are smaller and will
pass to some degree through and RO membrane but no all of them in the water
(due to effect of concentration gradients at the membrane boundary layer).
All other things in the water will not pass the RO membrane, including
Calcium ion.

http://sky.bsd.uchicago.edu/lcy_ref/synap/resting.html

And just for grins, here is a pretty cool paper that talks about ion
transport in living cells.

Have a great week.

TerryB