<snip>....<I'm glad for you. Our water supply is tainted with various volatile
organics like perchlorethylene and other various things. Distillation
does nothing to remove them. In fact, they're the first things to
appear in the distillate side of the operation.>

  The distillers I have used (can't speak of those I haven't), including my current one, have VOC vents to aid with VOC dissipation and post-carbon filtration.  Had a professional company test our before and after.  Measurable levels of nasty stuff all gone to >.1, including perc, other VOCs, aluminum, pesticides, etc.  I'll take my chances.