Re: [APD] Lowering KH, Which Is Better: RO Unit or Strong Acid?

On 2/25/06, cS <justwrite_cs at gmail.com> wrote:

> The "soft-water plants" that I am referring to are the new imports
> such as the Tonina spp. which seem to die easily unless planted in ADA
> Aquasoil or Florabase.  Many are claiming that the key to keeping them
> is low KH water.

Before I jumped through KH hoops I'd look very closely at who is giving that
information, how long they've been growing aquatic plants and how far ahead
or behind the curve they tend to be.  And I'd post on something like the AGA
forum and ask specifically about Tonina spp and KH.

I'm not a botanist but I can't think of a reason why higher levels of
CO3-2/HCO3- would cause any plant to die until the levels were far off the
chart.  I suspect that what is being reported is simply coincidence and not
a causal relationship.  While I haven't kept anything close to 1000 species
of plants, none of the ones I've kept ever grew noticably better at low KH.
If anything, the reverse has been true.

Liz