Re: [APD] Lowering KH, Which Is Better: RO Unit or Strong Acid?

>They like it hard. Even the soft-water ones. Hardness = nutrients.
The softwater plants are just the ones that do best without them. They
still prefer harder water (though possibly not 'liquid rock').  See
Walstad.

Andrew, are you referring to the KH or GH?  GH is what the plants use
and not KH, unless extremely CO2 deficient and intensely lit right?

The "soft-water plants" that I am referring to are the new imports
such as the Tonina spp. which seem to die easily unless planted in ADA
Aquasoil or Florabase.  Many are claiming that the key to keeping them
is low KH water.  "Low KH" is what is meant by "soft-water".  So GH
has no effects on these plants but KH does.  Is that accurate?  I
can't say.  I don't know.  Some experts would have to chime in for
that.

But anyway, if we want to lower KH (for whatever reason, be it our
liquid rock or we want to grow "soft-water plants") then why shouldn't
we use some strong acid like HCl, H2SO4, or other similar acids?  Why
must we resort to a RO unit?

Very curious (and a wee bit stubborn). :)

- cS -