From: aquatic-plants-bounces+djarthur=gmail_com at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+djarthur=gmail_com at actwin.com] On
Behalf Of Jerry Baker
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 5:02 AM
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: Re: [APD] Lowering KH, Which Is Better: RO Unit or Strong
Acid?

cS wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I hope that you ladies and gentlemen would be able to help me
> understand "WHY A STRONG ACID SUCH AS HCl, H2SO4, H2PO4, etc. SHOULD

> NOT BE USED TO LOWER KH" and that a RO unit does a much better job
at
> it.  I read many of the old APD posts and still am unable to
> understand.
>
> Your assistance is much appreciated.

The main thing is that you're only going to be increasing the
dissolved solids in your water, or keeping it level at best. As far as
the fish's gills are concerned, you're making the water even harder.
It's not really harder, but has a higher osmotic pressure which has
the same effect.

The only way to remove dissolved solids from the water is to actually
remove them. That's what R/O does well.

--
Jerry Baker