Re: [APD] Lowering KH, Which Is Better: RO Unit or Strong Acid?

cS wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I hope that you ladies and gentlemen would be able to help me
> understand "WHY A STRONG ACID SUCH AS HCl, H2SO4, H2PO4, etc. SHOULD
> NOT BE USED TO LOWER KH" and that a RO unit does a much better job at
> it.  I read many of the old APD posts and still am unable to
> understand.
>
> Your assistance is much appreciated.

The main thing is that you're only going to be increasing the dissolved
solids in your water, or keeping it level at best. As far as the fish's
gills are concerned, you're making the water even harder. It's not
really harder, but has a higher osmotic pressure which has the same effect.

The only way to remove dissolved solids from the water is to actually
remove them. That's what R/O does well.

--
Jerry Baker