From: Steve B <habubak at yahoo_com>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 3:42:40 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] Storing large amounts of RO water & reconditioning RO water

Jerry,

  OK, I understand now, so I need a hardness test kit.  Then I determine what hardness I want the water to be at based on the level of CO2 I want dissolved in the water, and does a 2:1 mixture until I achieve that hardness, and use the CO2 table.

  What type of hardness does this produce?  KH or GH?  It makes a difference in test kits, I've read that somewhere...

  Stop me if I'm wrong  ;-)

  Thanks!

  Cheers & Gig'Em,
  Steve

Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:
  Steve B wrote:
> Thanks Jerry, that was my next question! I was either gonna google it or ask you where you can find that stuff...
> A follow up question for Jerry:
> You say 2 parts CaCO3 and 1 part MgCO3... per what? Gallon? I'm confused regarding your terminology for dosing.
>
> Thanks for any clarification!

Per whatever. If it was a lake you might dose two tons of calcium
carbonate and one ton of magnesium carbonate. If it was a cell-sized
tank it might be two picogram of calcium carbonate and 1 picogram
magnesium carbonate. It depends on the level you want to achieve. I just
mixed the powder in a 2:1 ratio and added some of that mix until I got
to the hardness I wanted.

--
Jerry Baker