> I think what I am learning here Tom is that I need to build up
> to the amount
> you recommend.

I just added it.
No build up.

> Also, you say I should bark up another tree, but then mention
> previous to
> that statement that you have less light in your tanks then
> mine.  Is this a
> factor?  You never elaborate on why less light might mean
> something?

Less light=> less uptake.
I have a 13w light, but it's about 5" above the surface.

The idea is the same as people claiming PO4 causes algae, I add
the Excel, no fish/shrimp death, good plant growth, no issues.

So in order for us to accept that the excess excel was killing
fish/causing issues, why wouldn't I also see a similar effect?

I mean it would have to hold valid in both cases and be
repeatable and testable.

Mere observation alone has severe limitations.

> I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed with plants, but
> with fish and
> aquariums in general I do have extensive knowledge and
> experience.  When you
> change water, removing any and all contaminants, and then add
> everything
> back into the tank except the item you think is causing the
> problems (in
> this case, the Excel), and fish activity begins to return to
> normal...you've
> found your cause of the trouble.

No. Mere observation alone has severe limitations.
See above, testable, repeatable.

That's why I said bark up another tree, I'm adding at least that
much. Cherries are breeding quite well, killis doing great.

> In the days since Friday's water change, I have seen a big
> improvement in
> fish activity since I have backed off my dosing to follow the
> dosing amount
> indicated on the bottle.
>
> Michael Laflamme
> spicolte at hotmail_com

Nothing wrong with following the directions in this case, but
that is not what is killing/stressing the fish. I use a mix of
RO so the softeness is not that much different either compared
to your tap.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com