Aquatic and Riparian Weeds of the West
Jepson Manual

And on line at the CNPS:
http://www.cnps.org/index.htm

The problem is that many aquatics are not known to be native or
not since 96% of the wetlands in Ca have been drained for
farmland and human development long before inventories where
made. By contrast, Florida has lost 50% of it's wetlands.

In southern CA, E berteroi in native to the Santa Ynez river
drainage in Santa Barbara county. Most of the plants you will
find are introduced. CA is very diverse in terms of wetlands, so
biotope regions need to be very specific.

The highest diversity will be found further north and in alpine
regions. There are many pond weeds and the highest diversity
I've found where namely in coastal lakes/lagoons. About 12-15
species. But...some are not native plants.

Peat Bogs in the Sierras will have the highest diversity, but
also be most difficult to keep.

In you consider marine plants, then the diveristy is very high
and many are wonderful plants. Then you just need to go to a
tide pool to see what is there.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com