[APD] Bugs on leaves

I have a 29g tank with an Amazon sword plant in it. There is some sort of
brown chalky layer that slowly accumulates on various leaves. I'm not sure
what this is but I just figured I'll do more regular water changes and be
more concise with dosing and it should clear up. Well today I looked
closely, inspecting for pearling and saw little bitty bugs kinda hoppin
around on the surface of the sword leaf that is covered the most by the
brown chalky layer. What are these things? What should I do about them? What
is the brown stuff? What makes it go away? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Chas.