[APD] sand substrate

I probably won't act on this information as I'm loathe to wreck my existing
setup, but just for the sake of knowledge and curiosity: were I to set up a
sand substrate for my planted aquarium, would I absolutely need to have a
layer of fluorite or some such coarser-grain substrate underneath the sand
for roots, or can plants thrive in sand alone?  I've always liked the look
of sand, and I imagine it would also simplify planting and maintenance.
It's also cheap at the going, as well, something like two bucks and change
for fifty pounds of the stuff.

Eli Moss