Re: [APD] Plants for a Paludarium

Cheryl

Have you considered using Cryptocoryne? They are found in areas that have a
dry and wet season. They flower when they are emersed. Anubias will do great
in a Paludarium. Spathiphyllum-Brazilian sword is another which would do
well, it really is a tropical foliage plant, not an aquatic plant. I am sure
any of the Philodendrons would do well too. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris
thalictroides) is a fern and does really well in a humid atmosphere with its
roots dangling in the water. It has an entirely different leaf form when
growing emersed. I take floating water sprite and drape it over the overflow
of my 75 gallon tank at work. There is a canopy on top which provides a 7
inch area above the water before the glass top. It very rapidly puts out new
growth which is needle shaped. Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) will grow on
wood you place in your Paludarium. Hair grass (Eleocharis sp.) grows along
the edges of lakes and streams. It should do well. Lobelia (Cardinal Flower)
would grow way to tall. Mine in the garden get to four feet at least, but it
would grow in there as well. You could try Hosta as well. You can stir fry
its leaves if you need to thin it! Many of the stem plants will grow out of
the water. The following are the stem plants I see in the Tropica catalog:
Alternanthera, Bacopa, Cardamine, Eusteralis, Gymnocoronis,
Hemianthus(Micranthemum), Heteranthera, Hygrophila, I suspect Lilaeopsis
will do well emersed, Limnophila, Ludwigia, Myriophyllum, and Rotala.

My son just suggested a Venus Fly Trap and other carnivorous plants. The Fly
traps do really well for us in pure sphagnum peat moss with the pots in a
constant dish of water. They get full sun outdoors in New Jersey until noon
when they are shaded. We bring them indoors for the winter. No fertilizer at
all. They eat whatever insects land on them and the ones my sons feed them
in the summer. They all have flower stalks now and should bloom in a few
more weeks. One of our plants is three years old now and I divided it last
summer. None of them have ever gone dormant and they flower for us each year
so far. This year I am hoping to get some viable seeds as we bought new ones
that are sure not to be clones of the first, so they should cross pollinate.

I would be tempted to try an African Violet. If it dies, just throw it out.
I believe I once read they are found in the spray areas of waterfalls. I may
be incorrect and I hope someone will correct me.

I can't think of any more now. Hope this helps.

Jerry Smith in Bloomingdale, NJ