[APD] Securing Tanks for Earthquakes

As is probably the case for a lot of people with tanks located along the
California coastal areas, one of my worst nightmares is waking up at two
o'clock in the morning to the sound of 1500 pounds of glass, sand,
water, and fish crashing down onto my floor in an earthquake. I was
surprised at the relatively small number of postings to this list on the
subject.

It occurs to me that bolting the stand to the wall studs and having a
lip around all four sides of the stand is the way to go, but I worry
about torsion forces on the glass, as well as violent shaking, if the
stand is fixed tightly to the wall. I would prefer to have some sort of
rubber mount that could have some give to dampen the lateral motion
somewhat, but I'm not sure of anything readily available to function in
that capacity. I am actually contemplating some large rubber bands
(http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/218446_front500.jpg) and
attaching them with some considerable tension to eye bolts in the studs
and in the stand. Any ideas or opinions?

--
Jerry Baker