Re: [APD] Sand, Degree of Packing

On 1/31/06, Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> How much packing is too much? All substrates will tend to settle with
> time. In the case of sand, it will get a little harder, but how much is
> too much? I'm sure the plants won't care as I see plants growing in
> near-concrete in nature. I'm guessing it's the lack of gas and water
> circulation that makes packing bad. I'm thinking that if I can easily
> push a stick into it, it's good. What do you all think?

I'm using fine Monterrey sand, which is akin to shredding money for a
substrate by the time you pay the shipping.  Anyway, I haven't had a problem
with tight packing because of MTS, which I know have been mentioned today.
Haven't had any plant root or hydrogen sulfide issues in the sand.  I might
mention that I have a lot of escargot shells in that tank for brevis, and I
have had H2S issues with unoccupied shells.  Every so often I pull them out,
empty them and put them back.  I'd never heard of that until it happened to
me. Killed some F0 cichlids that weren't cheap.

Liz