Re: [APD] BBA

On 1/28/06, Mariano F. Bonfante <mariano_bonfante at hotmail_com> wrote:

> The explanation of keeping high and stable CO2 levels is very sound and
> consistent, I confirmed it in my own tank. Although I have a couple of
> question:
>
> - What will happened in a established colony of BBA, if leafs could not be
> pruned?. Would H2O2 help?. What is the recommended treatment and dose?.

Mariano,

I had BBA on a crinum calamistratum  Developed when the tank rn out of CO2
and I didn't get it refilled for 6 days -- quite a glorious bit of growth.
I uprooted it (and a few stems of rotala that were similarly infected) and
dunked the leaves directly into 3% H2O2.  Left it for probably 30 - 60
seconds -- watched for the fizzing to increase then begin to decline.
Replanted them.  Within a few days the BBA turned brilliant blood red then
came off the leaves after another day or two.

Some people may be aghast, but I know a few people who've done that and rid
heavily infested plants of BBA.

Liz