Re: [APD] My 90 Gallon Tank

Beth
Contrary to what the Kent package directions say, you do need
phosphates for plant growth and phosphates do not cause algae.  If you
are testing for nitrates, and basing your belief that you have enough
on the tests, you may be in error.  The test kits we normally use just
are not known for accuracy.  5 ppm may be a bit low for nitrates, but
this isn't a precise science, so it also may be adequate.

KNO3 is potassium nitrate, a good source of both nitrate and potassium.
  You can order it from Greg Watson
(http://www.gregwatson.com/categories.asp) at a very reasonable price.
He also sells KH2PO4, mono potassium phosphate, which is a good source
of both phosphates and potassium - but if your water is high in
phosphates you won't want to use that.  And, he sells a micronutrient
dry mix-CSM+B+Fe-which provides much of the remaining needed
fertilizers.  His prices are such that a lifetime supply is very cheap.

Assuming that your water is high in phosphates, and that the two Kent
products do provide the rest of the nutrients the plants need, you
could be ok just following the recommended doses.

If you  run tap water directly into the tank it comes in with dissolved
CO2, possibly at a high level.  But, if you fill a barrel with the tap
water and let it sit for a day it should lose most of the CO2, thus
avoiding spiking the CO2 level in the tank.

In my opinion, a 15-20% water change isn't going to introduce a big
change in   CO2 in any case - it is the 50% change that does that.
When I had a 125 gallon tank with DIY CO2, poorly done, I did 15% water
changes.  I did get occasional algae blooms, sometimes after water
changes, but I also had bits of plant spikes in the substrate along
with garden soil, so my algae could have been triggered by many things
other than water changes.  Back then I did everything wrong - now I
only do some things wrong - so, I'm learning.

Ok, so have I managed to contradict everything I have posted yet?

Vaughn H.