Re: [APD] extra plants - ALGAE ALGAE ALGAE

If I understand Tom Barr's current experimentation, algae and plants do
not compete for nutrients.  In a well fertilized aquarium there is
enough for both to do well.  But, if there is inadequate CO2, or a
fluctuating amount of CO2 present, or if there is ammonia present,
algae is more likely to start growing from the abundant spores always
present.  So, based on that, plus my own experience, a 29 gallon
aquarium without CO2 will very soon grow a healthy crop of various
algae.  Even a 29 gallon aquarium with CO2, but an inadequate or
fluctuating amount of CO2, will also soon become an algae garden.  The
only exception to this seems to be if you use Excel as a replacement
for the missing CO2.  So, my suggestion is that you take advantage of
Big Al's special on Excel before trying to fight off algae with masses
of plants.
I do have h. difformis, h. zoosterfolia, and stargrass in abundance in
my aquarium, and will be heavily trimming it probably tomorrow in
preparation for a couple of weeks of inability to do further trimming.
If that would be helpful, I could hold off on the trimming until Sunday
  afternoon and send the cuttings for shipping cost only.  (My cuttings
would not be algae free though!)

Vaughn H.