Re: [APD] Is Chloride Bad For Plants? (CaCl2)

Hello Derek,
I use a 50/50 mix of calcium chloride and magnesium sulphate to raise
hardness here and have done so for over two years.   I use potassium
bicarbonate to raise carbonate hardness.   The system works well and I have
been growing some very difficult plants.

See  http://www.aquagreen.pracsol.com.au/album.php  where there are photos
of my plant production for a small business.   The photos of Pogostemon show
a pond in the production set up.   The recirculating system is 18 ponds of
75,000 litres.

Maybe if you use sodium bicarbonate to raise carbonate hardness along with
the calcium chloride and magnesium sulphate you will end up with more salt.
A chemist should be able to answer that one.

Cheers
Dave