Re: [APD] I give up

When you re-set up the tank I suggest you use Seachem Excel, along with
the nitrates, phosphates, and traces, to inhibit any regrowth of algae.
  Excel will be expensive for a 55 gallon tank, but it beats fighting
algae.  And, of course, use lots of plants.  (Would anyone on this
mailing list ever suggest not using lots of plants???)   I think you
will be happy with Soilmaster for the new substrate, too.  Mine seemed
to lose some of the dark grey color in the first week, but seems to be
stabilized now.  It looks great and the Corys love it - no sliced up
mouths like I used to get with blasting grit.

Vaughn H.