Re: [APD] carbo-plus co2 injection

Hi Eli

I had one a while ago.  I liked it.  It was idiotproof, no worry about
having to set up the tank, figure out regulators and solenoids etc.  You
just set it up, dropped the block in and let it run.  Each block lasted me
3-4 months.  I had a coupel of problems with the unit.  The metal clips got
eaten, too, and were a pain in the butt to replace.  Generally, the whole
holder needed replacement every ohter time.  When it came down to it, I
could have paid for a canister system within a year.  I think the big
advantage of the system is that it really is "plug and play," you buy this
simple little box, hook it up, and it goes.  Plus, it looks high tech. :)

I had phenomenal success with it, though.  I never saw any sort of O2
depletion, and I had one in a tank without any aeration at all (no outside
filter, nothing, just a powerhead).  I kind of doubt the explanation given
(especially since the block itself doesn't seem to decrease in mass).  Some
others have posted other mechanisms through which it might work -- google
will probably turn up a few.  One is that it actually cracks the CaCO3 ions
in the water (supported by the build up of calcium on the block).  I
honestly don't know, so I'll leave that to others.

JW.
--
end
  ____^___
><,DARWIN,>
Joshua L. Wiegert
Native Fish Conservancy Lists Administrator                    JLW at dune_net
AIM UID: JoshuaWiegert                                                Yahoo:
JLW_DUNE_NET
                             HTTP://WWW.NATIVEFISH.ORG/JWiegert/index.html
Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any reason.
                             Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus