[APD] High phosphate levels

I have a 140 gallon tank with various plants.  This is a discus tank.  The
light level is 4 watts per gallon, and I use 1 Carbo Plus for CO2. I
fertilize with Kent Freshwater plant liquid fertilizer and plant tabs in the
gravel.  Several years ago the plants did well and were growing at a fast
rate.  Now most of the plants are dying and algae is growing in the gravel
and around the plant roots. I plan to tear most of the plants out and plant
new ones.  I have a uv light which kills the floating algae and keeps the
water very clear.  The phosphate level is very high at over 10 ppm.  I
started changing 20% of the water every week with filtered water that has no
phosphates. I have been using the filtered water for 2 months now. The
phosphate level is still as high as it was when I started using the filtered
water.  I have an old log in the aquarium that I found in a stream.  I'm
wondering if the high phosphates could be from the log, the gravel, the
fertilizer, or none of the above.
Thanks,
David Gruver