Re: [APD] ODNOS

One factor might be that the efficiency declines as you
overdrive so doubling the power won't yield a doubling in
light output.

Some ballasts can limit current even if you try to
overdrive them and that could be coming into play also.

sh

--- "Joshua L. Wiegert" <JLW at dune_net> wrote:

> Okay, I've got four overdriven 40W lamps on a 55-gallon,
> and finally got
> around to setting it all up.  I hate to say this, but it
> looks like a lot of
> trouble for not much. :)  The lamps get warmer,
> definitely: but I don't see
> a lot of difference between 4x40 OD and 4x40 standard.  I
> shut it down to
> one bulb, and compared to a standard one I have -- cast
> it at the ceiling
> from the floor, and both looked about the same.  I even
> tried the
> ink-through paper test (take several sheets of thick,
> white paper, and write
> something on the bottom one.  Hold it over a lamp, and
> lift it until you can
> no longer see what is written on the bottom sheet.
> Measure the distance.)
> The difference between teh ODNO and the standard was
> marginal, and may very
> well have been more due to the fact that the standard
> bulb was older and had
> some water marking on it.
>
> Have I stumbled onto some sort of smart ballasts that
> know how many bulbs
> are on them, and aren't cooperating? :)  These bulbs
> should be twice as
> bright as a standard flourescent, right?   So far, all
> I've managed to do is
> find a way to use a flourescent as a heater -- they get
> much warmer.  Did I
> wire something wrong, or am I just not able to perceive
> the difference in
> light output?
>
> JW
> Who probalby should have just bought the cheap PC dealy.
> :)
> --
> end
>   ____^___
> ><,DARWIN,>
> Joshua L. Wiegert
> Native Fish Conservancy Lists Administrator
>      JLW at dune_net
> AIM UID: JoshuaWiegert
>             Yahoo:
> JLW_DUNE_NET
>
> HTTP://WWW.NATIVEFISH.ORG/JWiegert/index.html
> Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any
> reason.

All the other terrific entries in the 6th Annual AGA Aquascaping Contest are on display:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

In service to the community, the AGA has opened forums:

http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/